AEclipse, a study association from the Erasmus School of Economics (Rotterdam) organises the International Research Project (IRP) every year, with the aim to undertake meaningful research in the area of development/policy economics. The topic of IRP 2022 is to identify business opportunities within the field of climate mitigation and adaptation in African economies.
Together with the TRAIDE Foundation, a group of 16 students studied these themes and identified opportunities during the first 6 months of 2022. The project was divided into 2 phases, including a field trip to Rwanda. During the field trip the students got the opportunity to speak to experts and visit existing businesses in the field of climate mitigation and adaptation. The geographical focus of this research was on Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Mozambique.
In phase 1 the group was divided into three teams.
- Team 1: dove into the policies currently installed by the government of the Netherlands, Mozambique, Ethiopia and Rwanda, plus relevant policies by the UN, EU and AU.
- Team 2: compiled a list of Dutch innovative companies that provide solutions and services related to climate adaptation and mitigation.
- Team 3: compiled a list of finance options within the field of climate mitigation and adaptation.
In phase 2, the teams were reorganized, whereby each team was assigned a country and a coach from TRAIDE. In this phase, they focussed on 2 themes and developed business cases based on the information they had gathered in phase 1 and 2.
- Ethiopia: Agriculture/livestock and reforestation
- Rwanda: Water and Waste
- Mozambique: Potato value chain and clean cooking
For TRAIDE this collaboration with such a vast number of students was a first. It has given us interesting insights and we will continue with some of the themes, for instance, the opportunities within waste in Rwanda. Would you like more information on IRP 2022 or on the above-mentioned opportunities? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com.